Saturday, March 10, 2018

Senior Portraits as a Photography Niche

Senior Portraits as a Photography Niche

I set up my photography career in an unique way.  In my prior life history, I was literally a newspaper carrier. I did that professionally for about 6 years before I moved back to my hometown of San Antonio, TX, and had no clue what I was going to do for work.

Together with hopes to initiate a portrait studio of some kind, I believed maybe knowing a little photography may be helpful. The basic camera I acquired was a Canon EOS 10D with a 28-135 zoom lens, and that was most ideal for taking senior  pictures at area football and tennis games.  I enjoy senior portraits and realized this would be a good way to practice. Shortly after doing this, a lot moms and dad who had witnessed me at many of the local football games contacted me concerning doing a senior pictures session for his high school son and a more of his friends , so I thought,  Sure,  I don’t mind. I need the experience.

senior portrait of young girl sitting on a bench

Senior Portraits Professional Niche Photography

I never planned to for it to come to be a full-time photography business. I really liked the resourceful perspective of taking senior portraits, but I understood nothing relating to business, so I got blessed. I have learned a lot along the way, and continue to find out more. When you refrain from learning, you put an end to growing. I was lucky to become great advice from fantastic high school kids along the way, therefore, it’s good to be able to offer a few tips of my own.

Taking senior portraits is a different kind of niche. You are working with 17 and 18 year old kids. They are a different breed of client. Some like to bury their heads in the mobile devices and others love school and are eager to learn more. Those are the kinds of high school seniors that are great as clients.

Visit to see more senior photos on our gallery of images,


No comments:

Post a Comment